Search This Blog

Thursday 6 February 2014

Home Made and Healthy Granola

I recently had some Home made granola at a friends house and have been craving it ever since. She sent me the recipe and off I went to bulk barn. Besides bulk barn  having everything you would ever need, each food label tell it's calorie content. Huh, who knew??

As I walked around reading labels I realized the yummy granola, I was about to make, had a ton of calories. So I made some healthy changes. I used coconut oil instead of olive oil and most of my sugar was coconut palm sugar instead of just brown sugar. I went for pine nuts and sun flower seeds instead of almonds and added goji berries and dried cranberries. I also used a combination of toasted and unsweetened coconut instead of sweetened.

 After getting home I compared my friends recipe and my new recipe on line and I had cut the calories from 350 to 208 per serving. But was it as still good? I gave it to my husband and he liked it! (He's my favorite critic) For just $20 you will have enough healthy granola to share with your friends. Keep it to a 1/2 cup per serving besides being good for you, your digestive system will work well too - if you know what I mean ;) Have some with yogurt and berries, toss it into you favorite cereal or just munch on some by itself.
*recipe to follow*

No comments:

Post a Comment